Friday, November 8, 2019

anxiety about this stage of life

Anyone else feel like we've been raised to have goals until you've had kids and then it's free range? Like get baptized, serve a mission, get married, have kids.......................then what? Raise those kids righteously. Ok......any parameters you wanna throw out there? I met with a hometown friend today that mentioned that kids are all so different and conference seems more concerned with cheering us on. But guys, let me tell you. I don't do blank canvas well....never have. Too many possibilities. Too much freedom. I paint. We all know this, and when I have a picture to go off of I nail it.

I had a similar experience when I was trying to decide between mission and marriage. I told the Lord I would go whichever way He told me to............nothing. Turns out He's DANG serious about our choices and us making them. I want to say I felt Him tell me to serve, but really I kind of just put words in His mouth and went. That was obviously a correct choice but He didn't tell me it was the RIGHT one until a MONTH before I came home.

I struggle hard core being a mom. It's blank canvas after blank canvas and I know the Lord likes to stretch us but today was one of those days( thank heavens minus the bit we spent with my high school buddy) that I just felt trapped. I feel like I'm living Groundhog day and after a while I just start picking up hobbies because I have the time.

Last night in our self reliance personal finance class they had the activity "make a 5 year plan". I was frustrated because this has already been on my mind for months and I still feel purposeless, directionless, and many days feel meaningless. I feel like a high school kid who's only purpose is to find people to hang out with and go to the mall. I have so much free time on my hands that I don't know what to do with and I hate it. I am an extrovert that feels like I'm on an island. Don't know how to relate? Try thinking of sticking an extrovert in the middle of a party or a concert.

I know the kids are going to get older but I need serious help with the now. It was pointed out to me recently that we don't live in the now. I have been thinking about how good life was in high school because I always have stuff going on and my buddies and I were the best of friends and there was a good group of us. I think back to college time and free time started to creep in.

As I've pondered, I've never done well with free time. It's always scared me.

The good news is I recognize my anxiety and calmly say it's not a big deal and it will pass. But I honestly can't wait for this time of life to be done. But the hardest part about it is I feel like I'm already retired and I don't know what I'll do when I do retire.

Alls I want is more structure. I know it's a personal matter and it's different for everyone but this week I felt pretty isolated...I feel isolated a lot. To those who've been there for me, you're rockstars.

Moms-how do you deal with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment