Friday, May 26, 2023

"I have CONfidENCE in Me!"

When Maria was assigned to the Von Trapp family, she was not confident in her ability to govern seven children. But she sang up her gumption in the now famous song from Sound of Music. She was clearly nervous when she met the captain but still showed confidence.

 It dawned on me tonight, as a culminating thought after some recent encounters I've had across the spectrum, that confidence is attractive, while insecurity is something we avoid. I'm not talking about pomp. No one likes Gilderoy Lockhart, but everyone loves Dumbledore or Tonks, and the students were wild for Lupin. No one gave a lick for Quirrell though..because he portrayed no confidence...although it was a cover...but that's besides the point.

When we show confidence in ourselves, it's inspiring. We want a confident doctor when we're in need of a diagnosis. We want a confident teacher when we're learning. We love a confident performer. We pay big money to appreciate confidence!

I thought even further that it's a sign of gratitude to our Heavenly Father when we're confident in what He's helped us to create in ourselves. And we are ever grateful for the Savior who showed confidence when before this life said, "Here I Am, send Me." Can you imagine how that scene could have played out differently if Satan was the only one who showed confidence? We would literally we be doomed. But Christ wasn't just wishful in His confidence. He knew who He was, and from Whom He came, and what He was capable of.

Our society would have you believe, and perhaps even our culture in the Latter Day Saints, seems to think that we're not supposed to be proud. So we swing the other direction and self-deprecate.  What good does that do anyone? We can't accept a compliment on an outfit that we purposefully tried to put forth effort into? As moms we almost glorify that leggings/workout/messy hair look. 

I met with an individual this week for work and though they had an impressive repertoire, they admitted they were very insecure, and sadly it showed. But I also daily see another individual that is the most confident parent, confident in their work, in their hobbies, and their calling. And that individual is inspiring to be around and everyone wants to be better because of their influence. And people know they can turn to them for help.

I had an experience last week with face painting that took my confidence from sky high to ground zero, and it had nothing to do with my abilities, but everything to do with my supplies and lack of preparation, which I knew were easily remedied. Funny thing was I went back to the park gigs the next day and everyone said what they always do, "Wow, this set-up is genius. You're so awesome to charge people what they think is fair. Oh you're quick! How cute are these designs!" And the tips put my confidence back where it belongs. But I need to have that confidence always because I know what I do, I'm good at, and it brings joy to people.

So I prayed to Heavenly Father on a drive home tonight to be more confident. And He answered by reminding me that if I have confidence in Christ, then confidence in myself will flow naturally. And He's constantly trying to instill confidence in us through modern prophets. We are beloved children of God with limitless potential, and yet we often fight that notion, like it's noble to do so.


I have some close contacts in my life that are constantly putting themselves down, and to be frank, it's a bit depressing to talk to them. On the other hand, I see confident posts from Colorado friends that are motivational speaker and chiropractor by trade, and though I know they both have some depressing stuff in their life right now, they exude confidence!

So my challenge to me and anyone else reading this, is exude confidence. Start by recognizing the things you are great at. Personally thank God for those things, and help the world be happier. Change your thoughts and you'll change your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment